Nope Trailer: Favorite Shots + Cinematography Breakdown

What's good y'all!




Jordan Peele dropped the trailer for 'Nope,' & boy am I excited! One of the things that caught me most is how visually striking this film is, so you know I have to give a breakdown! First, check out my trailer reaction!



Alright, let's get down to business! *Birdman hand rub*




Such a great way to start the trailer. I love the inclusion of black history (that is omitted from almost every article covering this topic) in film when it flows naturally as it does here. Gotta tip the hat to Spike Lee. I also think starting with the horse trains your mind to pay attention to horses throughout the trailer. They must play a part in what's going on. 





I really love how the colors pop on this green screen shot. From the clothes to their beautiful black skin; It all culminates to create a gorgeous frame. Taking that extra step to dress your actors in colors that accentuate the setting, pays off. 
 



Excellent blocking and lighting. It looks like they really shot the night scenes at night (a lot of movies shoot them in daylight, & change it in post) and it is not easy to capture the natural darkness of the world when the sun goes down. You can't just stick lights anywhere or use any bulbs to light the scene because you'll ruin that natural aspect of what you need to achieve. Kudos to the cinematographer on this!





These wide shots are f***ing stunning & my love for the desert mountainous terrain makes it that much better! With a setting like this, all you have to worry about is the blocking and framing to get a spectacular shot. 




This looks like the beginning of a horror film. A wide scope shot to display how alone this gigantic space is, in what looks like the middle of nowhere, with giant clouds floating above. Speaking of clouds, I'm sure these were added in post but they look super real. If they are real clouds that just happen to be present, then that's a great job. Either way, this image has big, "Nope," energy attached to it.



Such an unsettling yet, classic horror shot. Something in the distance (especially at night) will always work with the right framing and setting. 



My goodness I love this setting. This could be a painting on the wall. I'm gawking over these images. 



I love how textured this shot is just from blocking with what's naturally on set. This can duplicated by anyone in some sort of way just by planning.



Whew!! Just look at that! Do I even need to speak on what makes this frame incredible? Nah, I think you get it but it does raise more questions as to what is going on. Jordan's mind for imagery is one of the best in the genre. Who knows what is happening here.



Jordan back at it with symbolism. I love how he plants these Easter eggs throughout his films that end up paying off in a different way than you think, later on. I see these dolls and think of aliens immediately but I just know it's more than that. 



This is where the planning counts most. Without the shiny helmet, this shot wouldn't be nearly as visually dynamic, but it's inclusion totally changes it. Yet another, wtf is going on moment and I love it!



I'm not sure what part the color red plays, but I've notice the small pops of red here and there in the trailer. Steven's a red suit isn't particularly a normal choice to rock, so after watching this a few times, my eye unintentionally looks for that color. Smart choice. 



This was one of the biggest 'WTF' in the entire trailer. I have no clue what's up with her or why her face looks like this besides being linked with those dolls but damn I am intrigued!



Nothing makes a frame more mysterious than silhouettes and fog. Love how 'western' this film feels because shots like this seem plucked right from that genre.





More of that, 'what seems random,' imagery that will reveal itself somewhere in the movie. I love the play on perception of both shots. One using a miniature set, the other using a different aspect ratio to throw you head first into the past.



Wow. This one speaks for itself... Or does it? It looks like an alien and a baby fist bumping but with Peele, you never really know, so I don't believe this is what it's intended to look like. Great shot nonetheless. 



I didn't catch this my first watch but when I did on second viewing, mind blown! What a slick way to dial the fear up to 10, in under a few seconds just from framing. This seems to be shot from a handheld camera so the more natural movement doesn't allow you to see the 'thing' until the view becomes static. Love that!



Money shot of the trailer. No idea what's happening but the scale of whatever this is kicked the fear factor up a few more notches. Just imagine being under this? Yep, Nope. 


,

I love that this was edited in right after seeing the supposed spacecraft. 



You've got open land? Shoot that s*** to really put the audience into the space the characters are in. This makes us feel that hopelessness they feel, having to run from whatever is above. 





Now this is really the shot that took the entire trailer to the next level. I love how this is done as a one take shot of her getting snatched from the ground. My guess is its a fake out, in the sense that there's a stunt double amidst the smoke with a harness attached to her. At a certain point, the stunt double takes over and is lifted out of the smoke. Can't wait to see how this entire sequence plays out. 

So there you have it! My favorite shots from the 'Nope,' trailer. Were there any that I missed that you found to be worth a mention? Do you have any hot takes on some of the imagery? Let me know in the comments and as always, thanks for reading! Peace!





Comments