The Cinematography of Spider-Man : No Way Home (2021)

 What's good Everyone?! Back like I never left.



Spiderman No Way Home is Released on physical this week and to celebrate, I figured I'd do a breakdown of the film's cinematography. Not going to lie, I haven't liked any of Holland's Spidey films until this one & It's not just the nostalgia either. I think it's a good film before that stuff kicks in! 

For more on that, check my review here!




Now on to the breakdown!


I Love this shot. This is something ripped straight from a panel and without any words, you have an idea of what's happening. Jameson is making yet another wild take about Spider-Man, based on Peter's reaction.





Another set of panels brought to life. As soon as we see that cane, we already know who it is. I also really love how Peter is in the frame, but the depth of field is shallow to retain the focus point. I've seen things like this in comics all the time when characters are introduced. Of course, that reveal of Matt brought a similar smile to my face. 




This shot is so dope. This really speaks to the world of Dr. Strange and the insanity within it. I love the framing of Strange being seen at the highest point, putting the focus on who's the real one of above all here. Him floating down the stairs (instead of simply walking) also ads an unworldly quality to his character. Excellent.




I'm not a huge fan of the Iron spider suit but this shot is the best it's ever looked. 




I like this little moment of Doc Oc being hidden behind the smoke before revealing himself. We, the audience, knows who this is but this Peter does not. There's a sense of mystery the smoke screen adds to the frame.




I love the detail on this gauntlet. The inscription being seared into it speaks to the mythology and knowledge Strange possesses. It really looks like it was crafted by magic.






I'm a sucker for single shot depth of field manipulation. A few seconds of a frame can add so much context to the story without the need to dump dialogue. Even if you missed Spidey taking control of Doc Oc earlier, this lets us know how he's able to be contained. 




We finally got a cool looking swing, after 2 films of it being nonexistent lol. I was impressed with this shot. I love the pinkish/blue hues of the sky making the black suit pop against it. Gorgeous. 





Easily one of my favorite shots of Spiderman in any film, period. There's so much detail in this perfectly crafted shot. The blocking leads your eye to what's going on behind spidey, while also keeping the attention on him.  Electro is powering up so much that his energy is lighting The transmission tower next to him. It looks so damn good!

 



I really like how the suit looks here. The light from the explosion reflecting off the glossy black armor gives this frame a gorgeous texture. 







Three comic book panels back to back to back! The Goblin is a character outside of Norman and these shots make that clear. It's also letting us know who's really in charge by what the focus is on for this entire sequence. I love how the third shot is homage to Spiderman 2, when Peter was Spiderman no more, at least he thought.





Another frame that speaks for itself even if you're unaware of who these 2 characters are. I'm glad they let this shot linger instead of cutting away quickly. You can feel the weight of what you're seeing by just holding the shot for an extra second or two. Editing is such an underappreciated  job.






Both of these shots are cool f***. Like Batman, it's always dope to see a grounded character like spidey in such a fantastical space. This is one of true Peter moments really displaying his intelligence and ability to adapt. 





This suit looks so beautiful here. I have no clue why Marvel Studios insists on wrapping him in full CGI when his mask is on. Let the suit shine more by keeping it practical!





This shot is DRIPPING with emotion. His planted feet are unmoved as the rain pounds in a dark space; That's only being lit by the jumbo screen. This frame holds for a few seconds so as the rain falls, so you feel every drop of what Peter is feeling. Michael's key notes playing so lightly add even more to the mood.




Wordless acting tells the story here. Love this shot.



Probably my favorite shot of the movie. This is such a comic book panel brought to the big screen. At this moment, Peter feels smaller than ever as he's getting kicked while being down. The wide scope  really helps to drive the feeling of being tiny, home. Surrounding him with blue hue's drowns the shot with melancholy as well. 






It's Andrew & Toby.. In 2021. Nothing is too crazy about these shots technically, but I just had to include them because I still can't believe this happened. 





Whew! Another fantastic frame that mirrors a panel seen in a comic. This is another shot that's one my favorites of the film. I believe the mysterious nature derives from being seen from Peter's eyes. Besides his Spider sense going off, the familiarity is present. He can tell who these silhouettes are from their comfortable stances, in what would be uncomfortable place for anyone else. 




The money shot that will forever be ingrained in pop culture forever. All 3 live action Spider-Men, from 3 different generations, at 1 time. LEGENDARY




The other money shot of all 3 in action. This shot surpasses comic boon panel. This is graphic novel worthy. The wide view is the perfect way to capture this brawl of epic proportion begin.

 



I really like the callback in this particular shot to Amazing Spider-Man 2. Max had Peter wrapped up in the same attack.  The vfx on Andrew look hella clean too! 





Another shot that technically isn't great, but fits in that category of 'unbelievable to think is real.' 3 generations of Spiderman together, suited and interacting. Still insane.





I really like how textured this shot is, while also being a callback to Spiderman 2 when Peter saves MJ from falling debris. This has me thinking if most references were made to that film, because it's widely considered the best Spidey movie. I might be reaching but Hmm...







Real tears fam. These shots punched me in the gut (in a good way) when I first saw them. All 3 of these shots warm my heart so much. I don't even know if this was really acting. That hug and those smiles both seemed so genuine, you can feel it. 





I like that the shot was framed to have the light peak between the two of them, kind of creating a heart in that empty space. It's really fitting considering this is their last moment together before the memory wipe.




Great shot of New York to wrap up the 3rd act battle. There's always a brighter tomorrow.





Now THIS is Peter Parker. No one to depend on but himself in his shoebox apartment. This is the Peter I see eye to eye with. The one who helped me find myself as a kid. The one who still gives it his all no matter how bad the chips are down. This single shot speaks to all of this for me personally. 





As Peter looks out of his apartment window on this snowy New York night, he hears his destiny calling...



Him back to be the hero the city needs...





GOD WHAT A SHOT. Another favorite of mine in this movie. Scratch that, this IS my favorite.  SO much can be said here, so I'll just sum up how I feel: He's finally taken full responsibility of his own f*** up, choosing to leave MJ and Ned be. Gone are the days of being Ironboy Jr, ditching the suit of privilege & instead; Handcrafting his own suit with fabric he bought on a budget, inspired by his multiverse brothers to become..



SPIDER-MAN.


There you have it family! My favorite shots from the movie and a perfect way to move Peter forward. I can finally say, Tom Holland IS Spiderman and I look forward to the next installment. What are your favorite shots? Let me know in the comments! 

Thanks for reading and until next time... ✌🏽


Comments